This unprecedented time calls for unity

At the unprecedented time, we must remain physically apart; however, this time also calls for unity. The Grayslake community makes efforts to support each other even though we cannot be together. It’s vital that during the pandemic we are continuing to connect and raise positivity throughout the community.

Through social media, activities director Molly Tomlinson created “Knight Life”, a bi-weekly video segment that includes quarantine tips and Senior Shoutouts. By having students and staff engage with these segments, we overcome physical boundaries and connect through social media.

It’s very easy to feel lonely at this time, so I believe if we stay connected, it allows us to feel less alone, gives us a sense of purpose, more confidence, and ultimately gives people something to look forward to daily,” Tomlinson said.

Social connection and engagement are vital now more than ever, as the Illinois stay at home order prohibits physical interaction. The North community still holds our strong relationship to highlight the unbroken bond between staff and students.

“Since my job relies on the human connection, I wanted to find a way to make the staff and students at North still feel connected to school even in the comfort of their living room.  I also wanted to provide the staff a way to recognize the seniors, which inspired the Senior Shoutouts,” Tomlinson said.

North also kept in mind the families that will be struggling during this time as well. The district created the drive-by lunch program that provides daily breakfast and lunch Mondays through Fridays at the North campus.

“We [also] know families who are not accustomed to asking for help still need it, or who aren’t on the free/reduced lunch program. None of that matters – we just want to do whatever we can for whomever we can,” said Superintendent Mikkel Storaasli.

Many schools recognize that supporting district families is essential because of the pandemic. By providing free lunches, we continue to overcome physical boundaries and assist the community.

“Our staff will come out and give you what you need. There are no questions asked, no IDs checked. If a family doesn’t have transportation, we are able to deliver. Just contact me or either of our building principals, or any administrator. We will make sure no one is left out,” Storaasli said.

We need to support local restaurants during this time because they are essential to the community. Local restaurants in the Grayslake area are creating lunches for essential workers as well. BBQ Productions in Third Lake have donated lunches for medical workers, check their website for details. Many delivery companies, such as UberEats and GrubHub, have reduced or eliminated delivery costs on local businesses to increase sales. Check their websites for more details. 

The Grayslake community will prevail through all this, and from it we will become stronger. By helping our neighbors, supporting those in need, and celebrating our essential workers, we find positive light in these dark times.

Local businesses unite to connect the community.