Filed under Sports

Freshman volleyball hits new record

The freshman girls team broke the school record of having the highest amount of wins with a record of 21-3The freshman girls team broke the school record of having the highest amount of wins with a record of 21-3.

“Every day is a hustle for this team. We make sure to work hard as one unit in order to focus and prepare for our matches,” said freshman head coach Alex Lobb.

The freshman team has been focusing on basic skills so that they can be the best that they can be while playing in the matches against other schools.

“It’s more about focusing on everyone as a team rather than just your own personal skills. Although both are important, teamwork is what really brings us together and helps us win,” said freshman Teagan Johnson.

One highlight of the varsity team is that they won third place at the Knights Invite.

“We make sure that the team gives 110 percent effort at every practice because we want them to be the very best they can be,” said coach Jim Sarver.

The varsity girls are finishing up their season strong, “My favorite part about coaching is being able to give the team all the knowledge that I have and watching them grow and succeed as they move up,” Sarver said. “Of course I’m going to miss the senior girls, but I hope to see them further their volleyball career in college.”

Erin McBriarty received the NLCC Volleyball Sportsmanship award for having the most sportsmanship to other teams.

“It was a really great feeling knowing that my coaches and other schools’ coaches recognize that there’s more to sports than winning and All- Conference,” McBriarty said. “It’s humbling to know people see when you’re helping your teammates stay positive and reflect the positivity into our competition.”