Filed under Club Briefs

September Club Briefs

Freshman Class: 

CALLING ALL FRESHMAN! Do you want to be more involved with your school. Join Freshman Class Counsel. Student counsel helps with fun things going on around the school like dances and other events. Much of what we do helps raise funds towards your prom and it’s a lot of fun! We want to invite you to come to our meetings. We meet on Wednesdays at 3:!5pm in the attendance office. Come and bring a friend and we will see you at our next meeting! Questions see Mr. Sermak or Mrs. Amelio

SAGA: SAGA (sexuality and gender alignment alliance) is a group comprised of North’s LGBT+-identifying students and their allies.  This club generally meets on a weekly basis to provide support, as well as to engage in activism regarding LGBT+ issues.  As a group, we strive to reduce homophobia and transphobia within our school by imbibing knowledge about who we are and common issues we experience.  Additionally, SAGA aims to furnish an environment that allows students of all orientations and identities to express themselves and confide in others without fear of judgement.

The Kindness Project: We have a pilot club that we’re recruiting new members for called The Kindness Project. Our purpose is to promote and recognize kindness in our school and community, fostering an environment of optimism and positivity. Anyone who’s interested should come check us out on Sept. 23 at 7:20 in room A209. There will be doughnuts!

FCS: Here is the FCS info.  We meet on Tuesday mornings at 6:55 a.m. in c217, it’s open to anyone!  Here is our calendar for the semester.

Fall/Winter 2016
August 30 Meeting for planning Recipes for Semester 1
September 6 Bulletin Board Designing
September 20 Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
September 27 Chocolate Chip Brownie Tarts
October 4 Monkey Bread Mini’s
October 18 Pretzels
November 1 Doughnuts
November 15 Mini Pies
November 29 Mini Cinnamon Rolls
December 6 Reindeer Chow

Debate Team: The Debate Team has 13 new members this year and is currently preparing for our first tournament on 9/17. This will be the biggest team North has had for the past couple years, so we’re looking to build skills this year as we compete in the Illinois Congressional Debate Association tournaments throughout the school year. We are also preparing for the first-ever NLCC debate tournament on 10/14 against GCHS and GCHS (Grayslake Central and Grant).

Art club: Art Club is working hard to complete our proposed timeline mural in the stairwell near the LRC.  Additionally we are working on a public sculpture installation for the front windows of the building!  We are excited to contribute to the beautification of NORTH!  Keep your eyes open for new artwork in the school.

Table Tennis Club:  Our next meeting will take place on Monday, September 26th from 6-8pm in the hallway outside the band room.  The club is open to anyone and everyone and is always looking for new members.  All you need to do is show up, we provide all the equipment.  Last year the club joined the ITTI (Interscholastic Table Tennis Illinois) league last year and competed against other high schools.  We will be looking for the top players at North to fill a competitive roster.  See Coach Wolter with any questions.

Outdoor Adventure Club:  Our first trip of the year will be kayaking on the Chicago River under the lights of the skyline on Friday, September 23rd.   Following this we will be taking a group to the Richardson Corn Maze on Thursday, October 20th that will be filled with campfires, laughs, hot cider, s’mores and of course getting lost in the maze!  Keep a lookout for other trips this semester like Mountain Biking up in Lake Geneva and possibly a ski trip if the weather cooperates.  See Ms. T or Mr. Wolter with any questions.

LSU: Latinos Stand Up has been making plans for an interesting year. Students have already helped out at the first Conexiones (Spanish-speaking parents’ night), and are working on a Homecoming fundraiser and field trips to CLC and another college.

Chibi Japan: Chibi Japan Anime has been meeting and planning our activities for the year, from Homecoming activities to our spring field trip. All anime and manga fans are welcome to join us and plan our upcoming annual Halloween “Cosplay” party!

FBLA: FBLA meets Thursday after school in A206.  We are excited to attend the National Fall Leadership Conference in Milwaukee November 4-6.  Support FBLA’s trip to Milwaukee by buying a box of Krispy Kreme donuts –we sell on Thursdays & Fridays every other week.  See Mr. Bussone if interested in FBLA.