Staff, students of The Knight Times earn awards through IHSA, IJEA

Even in this hybrid class, the journalism students have been continuing in various contests.

The first contest that they competed in was the Illinois High School Association Section Journalism Competition. It was canceled last year due to the pandemic and held virtually this year.

“It was very cool that the contest was still able to be held,” said adviser Brenda Smith. “Many students were looking forward to being able to take part in the competition, and now they could still compete in their events.”

The events included writing, design, broadcasting, and photography.

Eight students from the newspaper staff competed in nine events, and six students placed in the Sectional Five.

Senior Claire Armstrong placed 4th in Editorial Writing
Senior Morgan Buckley placed 6th in News Writing
Sophomore Varun Gullapalli placed 5th in Copy Editing and 4th in Headline Writing
Senior Kevin Zowaski placed 5th in Photo Story Telling
Senior Dane Massey placed 5th in Broadcast News
Junior Lillien Salas placed 6th in Feature Writing

“It was very exciting to have so many of the students place in the top six in their events. I am so proud of everyone who competed. They really worked hard and have a lot to show for themselves,” Smith said.

In addition to actually competing live, the Illinois Journalism Education Association held a Newspaper and Digital Media contest where staffs could submit their work from websites and print newspapers from the year.

Overall, The Knight Times placed first for Best Website and third for Best Hybrid Publication (Print and Online)

The newspaper placed second for Best Use of Social Media for the Twitter site. The students who worked on this site include Natalie Smith, Morgan Buckley, Claire Armstrong, Michelle Szul Varun Gullapalli, Danielle Broege, and Dane Massey.

The staff placed third for Best Use of Social Media for Instagram. The students who contributed to this site include Natalie Smith, Danielle Broege, Jack Larson and Camden Ellingsen

The following students placed individually for their work:

Senior Dane Massey placed third and honorable mention for Best Sports Feature Story. He placed third for Best Sports Commentary, Best Headline, and Best Audio Journalism.

Senior Morgan Buckley earned honorable mention for Best Staff Editorial and Best Humorous Commentary.

Junior Lillien Salas earned honorable mention for Best Serious Commentary.

Senior Eliza Marino won third place for Best News or Feature Photo.

Junior Danielle Broege earned honorable mention for Best Audio Journalism.

Senior Linda Banuelos won third place for Best COVID Coverage.

“This is quite an accomplishment for the staff and students,” Smith said. “All of first semester was spent online, and many of the students were remote second semester. They accomplished all of this while on Zoom.”