Filed under Opinion

Editorial

Ever since the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, on February 14, there has been a lot of talk around the country about gun control and discussions on how to keep schools safe. Many schools have been updating their safety policies and have been performing more lock down drills at all levels in response to the past shooting in Florida.
Although this shooting has become one of the deadliest high school shootings to date, this is not the first mass shooting of the year. According to USA Today, “We were informed, for example, that since 2013 there has been an average of one school shooting a week in the U.S., and 18 since the beginning of this year.”
Immediately after the shooting, outrage and concern rose from the Parkland community and others from around the country. Students, just days after the shooting, began to speak up knowing that in the past adults have tried to fix this problem; however, they did not succeed. The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School refused to rest and not talk about the issues. That’s one of the reasons why many believe that things are finally getting changed. The voices from the shooting are speaking up demanding change on the state and the national level.
Within our own school, teachers have been advised to look over the emergency procedures once again. The safety procedures are updated every year, and Grayslake North has more drills that will be taking place. Dr. Roscoe said, “[we want to make] sure that our students have knowledge and are aware of what the drill is.”
What many student don’t know is that there is always communication with the surrounding schools and what is happening within the communities around us. There has been many incidents in the surrounding areas such as Round Lake High School and Mundelein High School. These incidents were handled properly, and all the surrounding schools have been working together to make sure all area schools remain to be a safe environment for everyone that enters in them.
A school is meant to be a place for learning, a place for success. However, school shootings have become a common and frequent occurrence throughout the United States. We can’t allow people to get used to these types of things. We need to make sure that we are making a change for the better of the next generation because no one should ever not feel safe in a learning environment.
If anyone ever sees something on social media or in school that concerns them, make sure to tell a trusted adult whether that be a teacher, counselor, the resource officer, principal and so on. Also, text a tip is always a great resource. The anonymous tip line can help a student who may be concerned or need advice on how to deal with a situations. There are so many adults and people who would be more than willing to help and make students feel comfortable in the school.
In these times, everyone needs to stop and be more vigilant to keep everyone safe.