Filed under Club Briefs

October Club Briefs

German Club: German Club at GNHS! The November meetings will be 11/2, 11/16, and 11/30. On November 2nd we will be focusing on Fall celebrations and holidays in German speaking countries. There will be music, snacks, and lots to learn for everyone! Meetings are at 3:15 in room A150. See Frau Canales for more information.

Green Room Theatre Company: Green Room Theatre Company has begun work on their Student Showcase 2016.  The show case includes experienced senior members of Green Room as directors of a wide variety of scenes, monologues and one acts performed by underclassmen. The production runs Dec. 1, 2 and 3 at 7pm in the Black Box Theatre.

Literary Magazine: “Pen and Paper: Literary Magazine” is currently doing some exciting stuff! We have been working with Mr. New on an Podcast, in which we’ll feature a serial story written and read by literary magazine members. We don’t want to give away too much, but it’s a suspense-filled mystery that is sure to keep listeners on their toes! We are also currently producing our first online “magazine”; it’s in it’s very early stages, but it will eventually be an online hub where we’ll feature student writers, post student photography, and suggest quick, creative reads! As always, our club is always looking for new creative students – we meet on Wednesdays in A209.

Academic Team: Academic team is currently preparing for our first competition which is on Wednesday, November 2nd at Lakes. We are always looking for new members as well, we practice on Monday’s after school in room A209. This club is like a game show where the team buzzes in to answer questions relating to different academic areas. We compete against Lakes, Antioch, Grayslake Central, Grant, Wauconda and North Chicago through January.  KEEP CALM AND BUZZ IN!

Debate Team: Ashley Greene won a 2nd place speaker award at the first-ever NLCC debate tournament, and Abby Hsiao won a best Presiding Officer award at the 2nd ICDA tournament in October. The team debates against about 30 more Chicago-area high schools again on November 12th.

LINK Crew: With Orientation over, LINK Crew doesn’t stop. We just had our first of several “How’s It Going So Far…” in the Junior/Senior Café last week with all the Freshmen. Next up for us is preparing to for FEST (Final Exam Study Time)  and we have some cool changes we will be making to that this year as well.

Yearbook: The cover and theme for the Yearbook has been finalized. The Yearbook Staff is currently putting together “Fall Sports,” and “Homecoming Week” spreads. Our first 32 pages of the Yearbook are due November 2nd! Spring 2016 Supplements should be arriving in the next week or two.

FCS : We are still meeting every other Tuesday. We’d love to have more group members! Please see Miss T. for more information

OAC: The group just recently completed their corn maze this past month at Richardson’s corn Maze in Spring Grove, IL.  They are currently accepting permission slips for their November trip which is paint balling.  Please See Miss T. or Mr. Wolter for more details.

Table Tennis Club: The table tennis club is off to a great start this year by holding multiple meetings and hosting a school tournament.  We are really looking forward to the start of our competition season November 17th at Stevenson High School.  Currently the elite 8 consists of (in order): Matt Brown, Matt Pawlowski, Adam Baker, Andrew Weigel, Micah Herrington, Justin Goers, Tarun Suresh, Jesse Hertze.  We are always looking for new members.  For updates on when and where we are meeting sign up for our remind. Text @gntable to 81010

Environmental Club: Environmental Club has a committed group of volunteers assisting with recycling each week. We completed our fall highway cleanup on October 15th and assisted with seed collection at Rollins Savanna on October 22nd. Our next work day will be at Grant Woods on November 19th where we are sure to cut-down buckthorn. Pizza fundraisers continue this year with the goal of improving outdoor assembly areas for student use. Our next two pizza fundraisers will be 11/10 and 11/17. Please purchase some pizza and help us meet our goal! GO GREEN!

Math Team: Math team has started meeting.  We meet every Tuesday after school from 3:20-4:15 in A110.  Our first meet will be against central on 11/18.